Monday, December 14, 2015

Memento

Professional Photos:



Process Photos:






Artist Statement:

          The purpose of this project was to relive a moment in my life, either good or bad, and use only three materials in explaining what had happened in that memory. In this particular memory marks the worst week I had ever experienced in my life. This memory happened when I was in high school, it was senior year and I was on the tennis team about to go to regionals and an officer in art club. Every year the art department is given the opportunity to participate in the Vans shoe contest and I had been looking forward to doing the contest ever since I had heard about it during freshman year. I had finished the pair of shoes I had been assigned to do the night before it was due around 10:30 PM. I worked on the shoes in the dining room and had turned off the lights in the house before heading to bed, which was a huge mistake. Due to the lack of vision, I misjudge the distance between myself and a corner of a wall and then ended up with a collision which had given me an open gap on the top left corner of my lips. Upon arriving to the emergency, my mom and I had just gotten there in time before it had closed but unfortunately for me the anesthetics didn’t work well and I felt the needle every time it had enter my skin to create the stitches. Then I remember it had gotten worse after that: I ended up missing the tennis regionals game because of the wound could not go out into the sun for too long, inherited the stomach flu, and spent the Easter holiday in bed.

·         Tennis Ball: The tennis ball is used to represent my last year and game of playing tennis in high school. At the time I felt like I let my whole team down because at the beginning of the year we were already have a hard time finding more players for the team and only had a total of five girls on the team, you need five girls in order to compete in tennis. I figured it would be a sturdy base as well as fitting the size criteria for this project.

·         String: Original my idea was to use shoe lace to represent the Vans shoes contest and have it look like the shoe lace had been stitched into the shoes. Due to the thickness of the shoe lace and difficulty of puncturing holes into the tennis ball, I replace the shoe lace with white string. The string still worked for the concept of stitches and was more easier to work with than the white shoe lace.  

·         Red Paint: This material was used to represent the large amount of blood I had lost after I collided into the wall. Who knew such a small wound would gave out so much blood.

Writing Response (On Longing) - Link: http://art4life3d.blogspot.com/2015/11/on-longing-response-images.html

No comments:

Post a Comment